[SET] Tojiro ZEN Discovery Set
Tojiro ZEN Discovery set includes 2 knives from Tojiro's Zen collection and our SharpEdge "Basic" sharpening set [#1000/6000]. This set is a high-level and affordable introduction to the world of Japanese sharpness!
- Tojiro Santoku Zen in 165mm blade length is a great selection for a handy, multi-purpose, low-maintenance and affordable knife. Santoku is a versatile kitchen knife that will shine through all kinds of chopping and cutting on the kitchen board. Meat lovers will only miss a little bit of length with larger pieces of meat. Did you know that the word santoku means "knife of three virtues" in Japanese? The word san is number three, meaning that it can be used to prepare vegetables, fish and meat.
Tojiro Petty Zen 130mm (5.1") will cover all the smaller tasks on and off the cutting board. Petty is a small multi-purpose kitchen knife suitable for in-hand tasks, such as peeling vegetables, preparing fruit and also chopping herbs, trimming meat and even preparing small fish. The petty is an indispensable tool in every kitchen and the perfect companion to larger and longer all-purpose knives.
- SharpEdge "Basic" sharpening set [#1000/6000] has all the essentials needed to keep your knives (Japanese or not) in good shape. This set is suitable for anyone who is starting to learn sharpening technique on a sharpening stone, or for those in need of a good sharpening set without breaking the bank.
Blade shape: [Knife set] Santoku / Petty
Steel type: VG-10
Blade construction: San-mai / full hamaguri convex / migaki
Hardness (HRC scale): 61
Overall length: 302mm (11.9") / 250mm (9.8")
Blade length: 165mm (6.5") / 130mm (5.1")
Blade height: 50mm (2") / 28mm (1.1")
Spine thickness: 2.3mm (0.09") / 1.7mm (0.07")
Weight: 130g (4.6 oz) / 45g (1.6 oz)
Handle length: 125mm (4.9") / 113mm (4.5")
Handle type / wood: Japanese / Magnolia
Kanji on the blade:
Location of the smithy: TSUBAME-SANJO / Niigata Prefecture / Japan
☝️ Japanese kitchen knives in our store are handmade from natural materials. Slight variations in color, texture, weight and other dimensions are possible. We try to give a good photographic representation of our products, however computer screen resolution and colors do vary, so products might not look exactly as they are seen on screen.
Blade wear depends on the quality of steel, usage and maintenance of the blade. Japanese knives are made of high-quality steels. Follow these tips to keep your Japanese knife in top-notch shape:
✔ Use a wooden, plastic or rubber cutting board.
✔ After use, wash the knives and wipe them dry.
✔ Use a magnetic rack, knife blocks, or use protective knife sheath (saya).
✔ A good cutting technique is your best bet to prolong sharpness.
✔ Use sharpening stones to sharpen the knife.
❗️Don’t leave the knife in the sink. Wash it by hand.
❗️Don’t wash the knife in the dishwasher.
❗️Don’t use the knife on glass, ceramics, marble or steel surfaces.
❗️Don’t scrape the food off the cutting board with the edge of the blade. Use the spine of the knife instead.
❗️Knife is a tool intended for specific use - cutting food. It is not a can opener, screwdriver, trowel, wire cutter, hammer etc.
→ For more details, read our guide
on Maintenance of Kitchen Knives.
🤙 Contact us if you need some help. We reply within 1 business day.
- €10 - flat worldwide rate with DHL Express (express delivery, 2-5 business days).
- FREE - all orders over €300 (DHL Express).
- United Kingdom - shipping to UK costs €15. All orders are shipped with UPS Express (2-3 business days). Free shipping on orders over €300.
- Russia (currently not available) - shipping to Russia costs €40. All orders are shipped with EMS postal service.
DUTIES AND IMPORT TAXES:
We ship all orders DDP (duties & taxes paid). This means you will not be charged for any import fees and taxes (including VAT). All our prices are final. The price you see at checkout is the final price, no hidden costs.
- Europe: 1-2 business days
- US & Canada: 2-4 business days
- Rest of the World: 3-5 business days
Our return policy lasts 30 days. If more than 30 days have gone by since the day you received your order, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
Each knife comes with:
✔️ Instructions and knife care leaflet.
✔️ A preventive Band-Aid – the knives are very sharp! 😉
✔️ Original box from the blacksmith, which we wrap in an old Japanese newspaper sheet – so every knife is ready to be passed on as a gift as soon as it hits your doorstep!
✔️ We also offer a special gift wrapping option with the traditional Japanese washi paper.
Still doubting which type of Japanese knife should best fit your needs? We created a quick, 5-steps quiz to help you find the perfect knife based on your cooking skills and the type of food you prepare.