SG2 Matte Knife Set [bunka + petty]
✔︎ No import fees & duties - worldwide
SG2 Matte Knife Set includes 2 knives, both designed and made exclusively for SharpEdge by Japanese knife maker Suncraft. A perfect two-knife set to elevate your cooking as these two knives will cover most of your cutting needs.
This SG2 Matte knife set includes:
- SG2 Bunka 200mm (7.9") - this one will be your primary knife for the majority of prep work. Large bunka will excel at chopping vegetables, and you'll be happy using it for making large pieces of meat into smaller chunks.
- SG2 Wide Petty 140mm (5.5") - this smaller knife will come in handy whenever the bunka will be too large. The wider blade width allows cutting on the cutting board, as well as for the in-hand use.
All knives from our SG2 Matte line of knives are made of SG2/R2 powder steel, hardened to around 62-63 HRC. Powder steels are currently the hardest steels available for knife making, which means knives will keep a smooth and sharp edge for an extremely long time. Due to the high content of chromium (Cr) in its steel structure, it is also incredibly easy to maintain. The composition and microstructure of the steel provide extremely fine and smooth sharpness.
Knives feature a matte, unpolished finish with a very pronounced line at the bottom of the blade. Forged with a common “sandwich” method called san-mai, this line indicates the border between the two softer, outer layers of steel, and the strong SG2 core steel, seen exposed at the very edge of the blade.
The handles attached to the SG2 Matte knives follow the same logic as the blades - universal and easy to maintain. A beautiful, dark brown, octagonal-shaped pakka wood handle sits well in your hands regardless if you are left- or right-handed. Pakka wood is a mixture of laminated wood and epoxy resin which is highly durable and will not get stained easily.
Use & Care:
- Handwash in warm water and towel dry
- Use a sharpening stone (not a honing steel!) to sharpen your knife
- Do not cut frozen foods and meat bones
- Do not put the knife in a dishwasher
- Read our comprehensive guide on proper Maintenance of Kitchen Knives.
Still doubting which type of Japanese knife should best fit your needs? We created a quick, 5-steps quiz to help you find the perfect knife based on your cooking skills and the type of food you prepare.