[SET] SG2 Matte Knife Set [Bunka + Petty]
- SG2 Powder Steel
- One of the hardest steels available for knife making. 62-63 HRC hardness level will make sure the blades remain sharp and smooth for a long time.
- San-mai (sandwich) cladding of the core SG2 stainless steel and 2 external layers of softer, also stainless steel. Low maintenance.
- You will only find one sharp edge. Others were smoothed out for a comfortable grip for the long day in the (professional) kitchen.
- Durable Handle
- The handle is made of Pakka wood, an engineered wood/resin composite that makes for a strong and ultra-durable material.
- Minimalistic Design
- For those who like the minimalistic looks. No frills, a simple matte blade finish with a single line at the edge - the exposed SG2 steel.
With its 165mm (6.5") blade length, SG2 Bunka Matte makes for a highly versatile knife suitable for cutting vegetables, meat and fish. The slim blade profile (1.8mm) and hard powder Japanese steel provide a winning combination of smooth and long-lasting sharpness, precise cutting and comfortable and fast work.
SAYA INCLUDED IN THE PRICE! We also made a custom-fit saya (knife sheath) for our new SG2 Bunka Matte which is included in the price! Sayas are hand-made from walnut wood.
SG2 Petty Matte 120mm (4.7")
This small Petty knife that provides the perfect complement to SG2 Bunka Matte for any work done in the kitchen – be it home or professional. At 120 mm length, the blade is perfect for more delicate and freehand tasks where a larger (and wider) knife would perhaps prove too unwieldy. The narrow blade profile (1.4 mm) and hard powder steel are a winning combination of smooth and long-lasting sharpness, precise and fine gliding through food, as well as comfortable and easy maneuvering. Petty can be used for peeling, paring, decorating, coring apples, removing eyes in potatoes, chopping herbs, mincing garlic, and similar tasks. It is a knife you should absolutely consider adding to your collection.
Blade shape: Bunka + Petty
Steel type: SG2/R2
Blade construction: San-mai / migaki
Hardness (HRC scale): 62-63
Overall length: 300mm (11.8") / 233mm (9.2")
Blade length: 165mm (6.5") / 120mm (4.7")
Blade height: 45mm (1.8") / 21.4mm (0.8")
Spine thickness: 1.8mm (0.07") / 1.4mm (0.1")
Weight: 150g (5.3 oz) / 70g (2.5 oz)
Handle length: 125mm (4.9") / 105mm (4.1")
Handle type / wood: Japanese / Pakka wood
Kanji on the blade:
Location of the smithy: SEKI / Gifu Prefecture / Japan
☝️ Japanese kitchen knives in our store are handmade from natural materials. Slight variations in color, texture, weight and other dimensions are possible. We try to give a good photographic representation of our products, however computer screen resolution and colors do vary, so products might not look exactly as they are seen on screen.
Blade wear depends on the quality of steel, usage and maintenance of the blade. Japanese knives are made of high-quality steels. Follow these tips to keep your Japanese knife in top-notch shape:
✔ Use a wooden, plastic or rubber cutting board.
✔ After use, wash the knives and wipe them dry.
✔ Use a magnetic rack, knife blocks, or use protective knife sheath (saya).
✔ A good cutting technique is your best bet to prolong sharpness.
✔ Use sharpening stones to sharpen the knife.
❗️Don’t leave the knife in the sink. Wash it by hand.
❗️Don’t wash the knife in the dishwasher.
❗️Don’t use the knife on glass, ceramics, marble or steel surfaces.
❗️Don’t scrape the food off the cutting board with the edge of the blade. Use the spine of the knife instead.
❗️Knife is a tool intended for specific use - cutting food. It is not a can opener, screwdriver, trowel, wire cutter, hammer etc.
→ For more details, read our guide
on Maintenance of Kitchen Knives.
🤙 Contact us if you need some help. We reply within 1 business day.
- €10 - flat worldwide rate with DHL Express (express delivery, 2-5 business days).
- FREE - all orders over €300 (DHL Express).
- United Kingdom - shipping to UK costs €15. All orders are shipped with UPS Express (2-3 business days). Free shipping on orders over €300.
- Russia (currently not available) - shipping to Russia costs €40. All orders are shipped with EMS postal service.
DUTIES AND IMPORT TAXES:
We ship all orders DDP (duties & taxes paid). This means you will not be charged for any import fees and taxes (including VAT). All our prices are final. The price you see at checkout is the final price, no hidden costs.
- Europe: 1-2 business days
- US & Canada: 2-4 business days
- Rest of the World: 3-5 business days
Our return policy lasts 30 days. If more than 30 days have gone by since the day you received your order, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
Each knife comes with:
✔️ Instructions and knife care leaflet.
✔️ A preventive Band-Aid – the knives are very sharp! 😉
✔️ Original box from the blacksmith, which we wrap in an old Japanese newspaper sheet – so every knife is ready to be passed on as a gift as soon as it hits your doorstep!
✔️ We also offer a special gift wrapping option with the traditional Japanese washi paper.
Still doubting which type of Japanese knife should best fit your needs? We created a quick, 5-steps quiz to help you find the perfect knife based on your cooking skills and the type of food you prepare.