[SET] Tamahagane Kengata Starter Set
✔︎ No import fees & duties - worldwide
- Knife Care
The Tamahagane Kengata Starter Set will introduce you to the world of traditional Japanese knives. Tamahagane knives are extremely durable, retain an edge for a very long time, and are easy to sharpen. They also combine timeless, simple design with ultimate sharpness. They have an elegant look without sacrificing high quality and efficiency. Not only that, but they are perfect for home-cooking enthusiasts and professional chefs who look for perfect balance and durability in their faithful kitchen assistant.
This set includes:
- Tamahagane "TSUBAME" Kengata 190mm (7.5"): The use of Kengata blade is versatile and it can handle a wide variety of kitchen tasks. The profile and length of the blade are suitable for both long and short cuts, the gentle curve of the belly is perfect for chopping on a kitchen board, and the sharp tip excels at tasks where precision is key. The core layer of the blade is VG-5, high carbon molybdenum vanadium steel. The powdered steel contains a lot of carbon and has an unprecedented hardness of approximately 61 HRC.
- SharpEdge "Basic" sharpening set [#1000/6000]: This set is suitable for anyone who is starting to learn sharpening technique on a sharpening stone, or for those in need of a good sharpening set without breaking the bank.
- SharpEdge plastic knife sleeve [medium]: SharpEdge Plastic Knife Sleeve is used for protecting knives and their users from damage and injury. Its simple and universal design makes it suitable for most blade shapes and sizes. It features a soft inner padding that prevents scratching and wear of the blade and a hard outer plastic shell to keep it safe from impacts.
Blade shape: Kengata (Bunka)
Steel type: VG-5
Blade construction: San-mai / V-edge / tsuchime (matte)
Hardness (HRC scale): 61
Overall length: 320mm (12.6")
Blade length: 190mm (7.5")
Blade height: 46mm (1.8")
Spine thickness: 2mm (0.1")
Weight: 190g (6.7 oz)
Handle length: 124mm (4.9")
Handle type / wood: Western / Pakka
Kanji on the blade:
Location of the smithy: TSUBAME-SANJO / Niigata Prefecture / Japan
☝️ Japanese kitchen knives in our store are handmade from natural materials. Slight variations in color, texture, weight and other dimensions are possible. We try to give a good photographic representation of our products, however computer screen resolution and colors do vary, so products might not look exactly as they are seen on screen.
Blade wear depends on the quality of steel, usage and maintenance of the blade. Japanese knives are made of high-quality steels. Follow these tips to keep your Japanese knife in top-notch shape:
✔ Use a wooden, plastic or rubber cutting board.
✔ After use, wash the knives and wipe them dry.
✔ Use a magnetic rack, knife blocks, or use protective knife sheath (saya).
✔ A good cutting technique is your best bet to prolong sharpness.
✔ Use sharpening stones to sharpen the knife.
❗️Don’t leave the knife in the sink. Wash it by hand.
❗️Don’t wash the knife in the dishwasher.
❗️Don’t use the knife on glass, ceramics, marble or steel surfaces.
❗️Don’t scrape the food off the cutting board with the edge of the blade. Use the spine of the knife instead.
❗️Knife is a tool intended for specific use - cutting food. It is not a can opener, screwdriver, trowel, wire cutter, hammer etc.
→ For more details, read our guide
on Maintenance of Kitchen Knives.
🤙 Contact us if you need some help. We reply within 1 business day.
- €10 - flat worldwide rate with DHL Express (express delivery, 2-5 business days).
- FREE - all orders over €300 (DHL Express).
- United Kingdom - shipping to UK costs €15. All orders are shipped with UPS Express (2-3 business days). Free shipping on orders over €300.
- Russia (currently not available) - shipping to Russia costs €40. All orders are shipped with EMS postal service.
DUTIES AND IMPORT TAXES:
We ship all orders DDP (duties & taxes paid). This means you will not be charged for any import fees and taxes (including VAT). All our prices are final. The price you see at checkout is the final price, no hidden costs.
- Europe: 1-2 business days
- US & Canada: 2-4 business days
- Rest of the World: 3-5 business days
Our return policy lasts 30 days. If more than 30 days have gone by since the day you received your order, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
→ Read our SHIPPING & RETURNS policy for more info. We strive to solve any issues fast and with as little hassle for you. If you have some additional questions, please contact us.
Each knife comes with:
✔️ Instructions and knife care leaflet.
✔️ A preventive Band-Aid – the knives are very sharp! 😉
✔️ Original box from the blacksmith, which we wrap in an old Japanese newspaper sheet – so every knife is ready to be passed on as a gift as soon as it hits your doorstep!
✔️ We also offer a special gift wrapping option with the traditional Japanese washi paper.
Still doubting which type of Japanese knife should best fit your needs?
We created a 5-steps quiz to help you find the perfect knife based on your cooking skills and the type of food you prepare.